I am so excited to share this recipe with you! I have had this idea in my head for a while and it has been quit some time since I last made cupcakes, so I was so happy to make these. Vegan unicorn cupcakes, for the first time in forever (little bit of Frozen in your life doesn’t hurt) my cupcakes came out looking amazing. I mean they always look good because cupcakes.. BUT now they almost look store bought, I
want to should open a cupcake shop.
Ingredients assemble, let’s cupcake!
What you will need:
-2 cups soy yogurt
-2 tsps apple cider vinegar
-2/3 cups sunflower oil
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-360g plain flour
-1 tsp salt
-1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
-1 1/2 tsp baking powder
For the frosting:
-200g soy/sunflower spread
-660g icing sugar
-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-1/2 tsp water (I used soy milk)
-Pink and purple gel food coloring
- Mix your soy yogurt with your apple cider vinegar en set aside. Mix your oil, sugar and vanilla extract together and then add your soy yogurt mixture. In a separate bowl mix your dry ingredients and sift it before adding it to the wet ingredients.
- I used a bit more then 20 ml of the batter per cupcake liner, fill it up 3/4 because the batter will rise and you want a nice flat top to put the frosting on.
- Bake them at 170C° or 340F for 22 minutes. The recipe says to leave them in for 22 minutes, I left them in for 25 minutes and they were perfect.
- Next up is the frosting, mix the soft soy or sunflower spread with the icing sugar and vanilla extract. I mixed the icing sugar in parts otherwise the icing sugar goes everywhere. Then add the water or soy milk until you get the right consistency, which is if you lift the spatula the frosting forms stiff peeks.
- For the unicorn horn I used gum paste, I colored a piece purple and a piece pink. Rolled them into thin sausages and then put them together and rolled it again so they look like a unicorn horn. To hold the shape I stuck a toothpick int them and then let them dry. When my frosting was pipped on I took some water and dabbed it on the horn and sprinkled some edible glitter on top. To finish them off I added some rainbow stars.
These cupcakes tasted so good, just like yogurt cake and I love yogurt cake, it’s moist and sweet. Also let’s talk about those cute plates and drink cup, covered in sprinkles. I got them at Flying Tiger, a store filled with cute things and you can’t leave without buying something. In the cup I mixed some elder flower syrup with water and ice.
What do you think of my cupcakes? Are they magical enough? I hope you try this recipe out because you really can’t taste that it’s vegan and I think it’s even better then regular cupcakes.
See you soon,