Today my friend and I made salted caramel cupcakes inspired by the delicious caramel drinks from Starbucks. This involved us making salted caramel which we never made before so this was very exciting.
This was seriously so good that we were imagining what else would be great with this caramel (the anwser is everything) like popcorn, ice cream and as I now think of it apples. All the possibilities and we made cupcakes with it and that was a very good choice.
As always this recipe came from Pinterest, honestly I think every recipe I make comes from Pinterest, it is my holy grail.
What do you need:
-1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon sea salt
-1 stick (113g) butter ( we used plant based butter and worked just fine)
-1 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1/2 plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk (you can easily make your own)
-1 1/2 unsalted butter (we again used the plant based butter which was a little bit too soft)
-4oz (120g) cream cheese
-3 cups powdered sugar -1 cup caramel sauce (we used a bit less)
For the caramel sauce you need:
-2 cups granulated sugar
-12 teaspoons butter
-1 cup heavy cream
-1 teaspoon sea salt
- To make the cupcake batter mix the butter with the brown sugar until it gets fluffy, then add the eggs, one at a time.
- Preheat your oven to 325F or 160C°.
- Add the vanilla and mix. Mix the flour, salt, baking powder in a separate bowl. We didn’t have buttermilk so we made our own, which is really easy. Just add a teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice to 1/2 cup (plus 2 tablespoons) milk and mix.
- Alternate between adding the dry ingredients and buttermilk into the butter mixture. You will be left with a silk and fluffy batter.
- Fill your cupcake liner halfway full, this will make 12 cupcakes. Put the cupcakes in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Then the exciting part, the caramel! Pour the sugar in a medium saucepan and make sure to put the butter and heavy cream ready to go. First the sugar needs to melt, stir every few seconds to prevent it from burning.
- When the sugar is melted, add in the butter teaspoon by teaspoon and make sure to keep stirring. After you added all the butter let it boil for 2-3 minutes and then add in the salt and slowly add in the heavy cream and again keep stirring. That’s it, you just made caramel sauce!
- Our caramel got a little bit hard, it wasn’t so much a sauce anymore but more caramel candy. We think it was because we used plant based butter and not real butter. It still tasted good and smelled amazing.
- To make the frosting you just need to mix the soft butter with the cream cheese and then slowly add in the powdered sugar and in the end add as much caramel sauce as you want! Then all there is left to do is to decorate them anyway you like!
These were honestly so good and so fun to make. The caramel got a little bit clumpy in the frosting but that made it maybe even better because now there were lot’s of little caramel pieces in there.
Make these, you won’t regret it. I promise.
See you soon,