Being on a diet is not an easy thing, it so much easier to go to McDonald’s and eat a delicious greasy hamburger. I know I rather eat a pizza instead of a salad. Today I didn’t really feel like eating healthy but I knew I would feel guilty afterwards if I would go get a pizza or chicken nuggets. So I made some oven baked chicken nuggets with a sweet and salty pearl couscous salad. This filled me up and satisfied my need to get something greasy, it didn’t even tasted healthy it just tasted good.
To make the pearl couscous salad, you will need:
-150g pearl couscous
-5 tablespoons cashew nuts
-Seeds of 1 pomegranate
-1 red onion
-4 garlic cloves
-4 sprigs thyme
-2 sprigs rosemary
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-Drizzle of honey
-Juice of an orange
-Juice of 1/2 lemon
-Juice of 1/2 orange
-3 tablespoons honey
-1 tablespoon soy sauce
-2 tablespoons sesame oil
-4 tablespoons olive oil
- Boil the pearl couscous until tender in salted water, follow the directions on the box.
- Peel the carrots, place on a baking sheet greased with olive oil. Put the carrots on the baking sheet with the garlic cloves, cashew nuts. Add the juice of one orange, thyme and rosemary, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes at 200C° or 392F. Remove the foil and bake for 20 more minutes.
- In a separate bowl combine all the ingredients for the vinaigrette.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl; the pearl couscous, carrots and cashews, chopped onion, seeds of pomegranate. Pour the vinaigrette on top.
To make the chicken nuggets, you will need:
– 500g chicken breast
-20g Parmesan cheese -2 eggs
-1 teaspoon paprika powder
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-generous pinch of salt & pepper
-100g plain flower
-150g panko breadcrumbs (you can use any breadcrumbs you want)
- Dice you chicken into cubes, as big as you want your chicken nuggets. Next we are making your “dipping station”, whisk your eggs into one bowl, flour into a second and in your final bowl your breadcrumbs,Parmesan cheese , garlic powder, paprika powder and salt & pepper.
- Then you need to do this to each an every chicken cube; dip your chicken into the flour-Shake it off, shake it off-, then in the egg –again shake it off shake it off-, lastly roll into your breadcrumbs. It’s very important to shake the excess flour and egg off, so put Shake it off from Taylor swift on repeat and start shaking. Put the nuggets on a greased baking sheet. At the end drizzle a bit of olive oil on top.
- Bake them for 20-25 minutes on 180C° or 356F. Turn them over half way so they get golden and crispy on both sides. I served mine with honey barbecue sauce.
See you soon,