Poke bowl are very popular on Instagram these days, they look so perfect en colorful, almost like a rainbow in a bowl. Most importantly they don’t only look beautiful and magical but also incredibly delicious. It looks like sushi in a bowl and sushi is for sure one of my favorite foods. I had very high expectations for this dish and it did not disappoint, it tasted so fresh and I immediately fell in love.
Poke is originally from Hawaii and there they don’t usually serve it with lot’s of vegetables, as you see in all the Instagram pictures. Poke is a base of rice topped with fresh marinaded fish, usually tuna or salmon. Today I took my inspiration from the beautiful Instagram pictures and as always from Pinterest.
What you will need to make this Rainbow Poke bowl;
1 cup sushi rice (cooked)
1/4 cup mango
1/4 cup red union
1/2 cup fresh tuna
Half a avocado
1/4 cup red cabbage
1 teaspoon lump fish eggs
2 lemons, juiced
A splash of orange juice
1 nori sheet
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Salt & pepper to taste
Black sesame seeds
For the sauce;
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon sriracha
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon sweet chili sauce
Salt & pepper to taste
- First of you need to cut your tuna into bite size pieces and put them in a bowl. Add the sesame oil, the soy sauce, splash of orange juice and 2 teaspoons lemon juice and a bit of lemon zest to the tuna. Season the tuna to taste and set aside.
- Cook your sushi rice. After it is cooked add in your rice flavoring with some salt.
- Prepare all you toppings; slice your carrots into long strips (I used a peeler for this), slice your avocado and sprinkle a little lemon juice on top to keep it from browning. Slice your red cabbage, mango and red onion. To make your mango salsa, mix the mango and union in a bowl, season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. If you like it extra spicy you can add in some red chili flakes.
- To make the sauce; mix together the mayonnaise, sriracha, lemon juice and sweet chili sauce. If you like it spicy you can add more sriracha.
- Fill your bowl halfway with the sushi rice. Add in the middle the marinated tuna and add on your other toppings; mango salsa, carrots, red cabbage, avocado, nori and the lomp fish eggs on top the tuna. In the end sprinkle on some black sesame seeds and the sauce. Enjoy!
This is so easy to make and it taste so fresh, the lemon really is so good with the spicy sriracha sauce. I added on some extra lemon juice on top and I also seasoned the avocado with some salt and pepper.
Next time I want to try this with some salmon, pineapple and seaweed salad. The great thing about this recipe is that you can customize it to your liking’s.